The roundhouse at Bahnbetriebswerk Pankow-Heinersdorf was the last roundhouse, built in Germany at 1893. It's a circular building with a central turntable inside, with a special steel structure, called Schwedlerkuppel. Johann Wilhelm Schwedler was an ingenious designer. His lightweight but extremely durable steel girders were a small structural revolution. The steel girder dome of the roundhouse has a diameter of 38 meter.
At the trainyard area also a "Ringschuppen" can be found, a semi circular building with a large central turntable outside.
The Bahnbetriebswerk was located at the Berlin - Stettin Railway connection, one of Berlins major railway lines, constructed in 1843.